In 2013, for the second time in three years, Boston Poetry Slam served as the host city slam for the National Poetry Slam.
After the unprecedented success of the 2011 National Poetry Slam, then a sudden absence of host for the 2013 event, Poetry Slam, Inc. selected the Boston Poetry Slam from a shortlist of national venues to replace the 2013 bid. Simone Beaubien received the bid for NPS 2013 in February of 2013, and the event ran from August 13 through 17 in Boston, Cambridge, and Somerville.
NPS 2013 actually overtook ticket and pass sales for NPS 2011. Upwards of 8000 spectators attended preliminary bouts, semi-finals, and Group Piece Finals in even larger venues than the previous Boston-area NPS. Semi-finals and Finals at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston once again sold out.
NPS 2013 is proud to thank the following instrumental local volunteers for the success of NPS 2013:
- Host City Director: Simone Beaubien
- Chief of Staff, Photography Lead: Marshall Goff
- Development Director: Michael Monroe
- Press Lead: Michelle Campbell Barry
- Press Lead: Kevin Spak
- Social Media Lead: Cassandra de Alba
- Art Director: Melissa Newman-Evans
- Venue Liaison: Nora Meiners
- Volunteer Coordinator: Megan Thoma
- Street Team Lead: Jamei Bauer
- Day and Late Night Events Coordinator: Adam Stone
- Youth Events Coordination: Alex Charalambides and Cole Rodriguez
The most current website for the annual National Poetry Slam can always be found at nationalpoetryslam.com. This event is always in need of volunteers, both remote and local, so don’t hesitate to get involved!