When asked how to get a feature at the Cantab Lounge, founding SlamMaster Michael Brown would simply reply: “We ask you.”
Although this is still a fail-safe method, booking a feature at the Cantab is no longer by invitation only. Local or touring poets may apply to SlamMaster Simone Beaubien, the Boston Poetry Slam’s sole booking agent, ONLY by sending email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Send a short bio describing your concrete poetry accomplishments. Slam titles, publication credits, and residencies are all helpful information. Do not send unsolicited attachments.
- If there is any chance that the SlamMaster is not familiar with your work, send DIRECT LINKS to one or more recent audio or video samples. Do not send writing samples.
- List the Wednesdays that you are available to feature. The show books 3-4 months in advance, and bookings are especially competitive during the months of January, April, and October. You may wish to peruse the upcoming schedule or our Google Calendar to see if your desired date has already been booked.
- Please remember that booking is a competitive, subjective process conducted by a single individual on behalf of a specific audience. Poets not approved for a feature are encouraged to rock the open mic.
Other information you may find helpful:
- The Boston Poetry Slam does not book music acts. If music figures more prominently than poetry in your work, or if you require some kind of accompaniment, please seek a feature elsewhere. You may wish to contact the booking agent for music at the Cantab Lounge, Mickey Bliss.
- Double features who are touring together are subject to the same restrictions (and benefits) as solo poets. For this reason, the show rarely books troupes of poets. Please do not ask to double-schedule with an already-booked feature.
- In order to encourage a broad selection of features at the series, previously booked poets should expect to wait one to two years before being offered the stage again.
- Compensation is based on attendance on the night of your show; features are also encouraged to vend product. Housing is available only with advance notice.
- You may wish to extend your feature to a New England tour. Please see the NorthBEAST links in the sidebar to contact other local poetry slams.
For additional guidelines on booking a tour, you may download the SlamMaster’s printable guide on How to Be A Perfect Stranger: Ten Tips on Being the Best Touring Poet You Can Be.