The 2019 Boston Poetry Slam Team was selected in a slapdash, high-stakes, seven-poem slam series touching down on May 15, 2019. With the National Poetry Slam on hiatus this year, the team will represent the venue in local and regional competition, generate and champion work around the Boston Poetry Slam, perform and collaborate with local artists and venues, and serve as the Boston Poetry Slam’s House Band for the month of August.
The team is composed of Joshua Elbaum, Arianna Monet, Zeke Russell, and Terah Ehigiator, and they are the venue’s first four-poet team since 2007. They like wolves, mangoes, green spaces, lush content, spare language, and important silences, and they believe in making the poem bloom onstage. Performance coaching and bookings for the team are provided by Simone Beaubien.
Selected team appearances:
- Weds, June 12: team slam at the Cantab
- Weds, July 3: team slam at the Cantab
- Sun, July 7: feature @ The Roost in Northampton
- August Wednesdays: 7, 14, 21, and 28 at the Cantab
- Thurs, Aug 8: Tender Match at Oberon
- Tues, Aug 20: team slam at Mill City
- Sat, Sept 7: Arianna & Terah at The Intersection
- Weds, Sept 11: team slam at the Cantab
- Thurs, Sept 19: ON HOLD for the Emily Dickinson Poetry Fest
- Fri, Nov 22: ON HOLD for a collab with Urbanity Dance
The team wishes to thank poet and photographer Tatiana M.R. Johnson for providing the team’s official promotional photos, as well as poet and graphic designer Allison Truj for artistic direction assistance and design tasks.