New & Improved at Radio is actively seeking performance artists to feature at the weekly Monday show. Local or touring acts may apply to curator Simone Beaubien, the Boston Poetry Slam’s sole booking agent, ONLY by sending email to email@example.com. Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Send a short bio describing your performance history, publication credits, or the evolution of your work.
- If there is any chance that the curator is not familiar with your work, send a LINK to one or more recent audio or video samples. Do not send writing samples.
- List the Mondays that you are available to feature. The show books about four weeks in advance, and first Mondays are are unavailable for full feature slots (although you may wish to apply to perform in one of upcoming iterations of the Encyclopedia Show). Peruse the weekly schedule to see if your desired date has already been booked.
Other information you may find helpful:
- The ideal POET for our show is one who will help bring listeners to the venue. For now, the show is primarily booking local up-and-coming poets, or touring poets with a high profile or good promotional machine who only have time for a single Boston show. Poets willing to lead a workshop of any kind will be given priority.
- The ideal MUSICIAN, STORYTELLER, DANCER, CHARACTER ACTOR, COMEDIAN, OR OTHER PERFORMANCE ARTIST is a low-maintenance individual or small group with some sense of self-promotion, one who can perform unintimidated to an intensely listening audience. Our room is especially well-suited to projects from experienced artists looking for a first show out, or artists who defy genre classification. The show is truly open to all kinds of performers, so if you are wondering if your work will fit the scene, please contact the curator to begin a discussion!
- Compensation is based on attendance on the night of your show; our room seats 200. Features are also encouraged to vend product.
Please keep in mind that booking is a competitive, subjective process conducted by a single curator attempting to bring a certain flavor of work to the audience. New & Improved is an evolving show with a mission to create a show that is a little different than what most artists are accustomed to– yes, even experienced performing poets. Artists not approved for a feature are encouraged to come and rock the open mic.